Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] re: Leaking Copper Tube - Holding Tank

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Mark. It was on the tube from the toilet to the tank. Someone else had posted about replacing it and I used their advice. It was about 5 years ago so I don't recall the details except that I had to cut back a small amount of fiberglass around the copper tube and then it came out easily. Mine wasn't attached to the tube in the tank. The fitting replacement was one of the easiest jobs I've done. Luckily I had a plastic spear the right size in my spares.
 Putting the new hose on not so easy. The tube is quite stiff and it is a short run. Made it possible by hot water heating its full length prior and getting some flexibility. Plug one end and fill it with hot water.
Regards
Danny 

To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Sunday, 10 January 2016 9:38 AM
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] re: Leaking Copper Tube - Holding Tank

Thanks Danny! Was your leak on the input side of the tank? Did you run into any issue with the fitting inside the tank?

Also, removing the old copper fitting – how was this done? Twisting and pulling or with a tool?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper
Sailing Yacht: Cream Puff

Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2016 2:52 PM
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] re: Leaking Copper Tube - Holding Tank

Hi Mark,
I had same problem a few years ago. I was able to remove the copper pipe from the bottom of the tank.  I found a plastic spear the right size fitting with a threaded end that was a tight fit. I put that in with silicone of the type used to bed deck fittings. Had no problems since. If I remember correctly I had to peal a little fiberglass away to get the copper out.
Regards
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl 

From: "'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Sunday, 10 January 2016 3:18 AM
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] re: Leaking Copper Tube - Holding Tank

Looking inside the tank, there is a U shaped hose attached to the inlet to push the waste upward. Does anyone know if this is the same copper tube (meaning the tube would be one piece and sleeved through the tank). If this is the case, it might be very difficult to remove.

I’m still at a bit of a lose as to how to begin this repair. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000
Hull #275
Currently cruising:  Green Turtle Cay – Abaco Islands - Bahamas

Sent: Thursday, January 07, 2016 11:24 AM
To: 'amelyachtowners@...'
Subject: Leaking Copper Tube - Holding Tank

Oh, the joys of boat ownership…

I have a leak in the aft holding tank. The copper tube on the inlet side of the tank has a crack. Phew! I see where others have had a similar issue but don’t see the solution posted.

I have a couple of questions before I dive into this:

1)      How is the copper tube fastened to the tank? I do not see threads.
2)      What is the best way to remove the copper tube?
3)      What size tube do I need to replace this?
4)      What is the best way to insert and waterproof the replacement tube?
5)      I think something non-metallic might be a better material choice. Any suggestions?

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000
Hull #275
Currently cruising:  Green Turtle Cay – Abaco Islands - Bahamas

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.