Re: Changes to Yahoo

SV Perigee

Hi All,

Although not (yet) an owner, I had a brief side discussion also with Bill from BeBe last year about the structure and so on of the most-valuable information on this group.

I elective that it would be useful to group info by Model / Hull number, with perhaps a generic top-level "00" directory, relating to spares/parts, and any other info of a generic nature of interest to all parties.

And then, for and withing the directory for each model/type, a directory structure expanding on Bill's as proposed, something like:

Design
Hull
Deck
Ground Tackle
Spars
Standing Rigging
Sails
Furling Systems
Running Rigging
Winches
Steering
Bowthruster
Hull Fittings
Deck Fittings
Safety Gear
LPG/Gas systems
Fire Monitoring & Control
Salt water systems
Fresh water systems
Bilge water systems
Diesel Fuel System
Main Engine
Gearbox
C-Drive
Shaft
Propeller
Sanitation
Electrical
- Shore Power
- Battery Chargers
- Generating Set
- Alternators
- Solar
- Wind
- Shaft Driven Alternator
- Batteries
- Monitoring and Control
- Inverters (24VDC to 220VAC)
- 12VDC House/Nav
Navigation
- Binnacle Compass
- Fluxgate Compass
- Chronometer
- Barometer
- Wind instruments
- Knot-meter & Log
- Depth sounder
- GPS
- Maps & Charts
- Chart Plotter
- etc
- Autopilot (controller)
NAV Lighting
- Anchor Light
- Masthead Tricolour
- Running (Deck)
- Steaming
- Stern Light
- Deck Lights
Surveillance
- Search Light
- Radar
- AIS
- Sonar
Communications
- Horn / Bell
- VHF (fixed)
- VHF (mobile)
- HF/SSB
- Satellite
Interior Lighting
Refrigeration
Deep-freeze
Stove
Cook Top
Microwave
Dishwasher
Washing Machine
Air Conditioning
Space Heating
Tender / Dinghy

Granted, an extensive listing, but then so too are the systems that come as 'Standard'.  (I placed some sub-headings in there too, but for only some top-level headings.)  Some headings could be 'nested' - for example, engine, gear-box, C-drive, shaft, prop, cold all be collapsed under "Propulsion" - but each of these topics is probably big enough to get a headline of it's own, so elevated to a higher level for better visibility and navigation of the various topics).

These headings could provide the basis for a directory structure.

I would thing that, within each directory/folder,  there may be benefit of have sub-directories for each of:
- Description & Specifications
- Operation & Checklists
- Faults & Troubleshooting
- Service Schedule
- Maintenance Procedures
- Parts, Tools & Spares

I would expect also that - if there is not already one existing - it may be useful to compile a master maintenance schedule, based on engine/genset hours, and time (such as 3/6/9/12/24/36 months).

Just my two pence worth, as I've tried to file information systematically as I've been coming to grips with both the systems complexity and the wealth of information available from different sources.

Hope this offering provides some benefit to the greater community.

And with best regards,

David
Actively searching for well-loved SM 2k (RL spec, or equivalent).