can anyone comment on the subject. Recently, while motoring, the battery
compartment heated up and upon opening it I was confronted with steam,
sizzling with water accumulating on the floor of the compartment, the
batteries too hot to the touch and strong smell. I left it open and
after a few hours they cooled down. This did not repeat when we
continued motoring and charging and discharging were again normal.
This happened again while we were connected to shore power, again with
the compartment closed. When open and charging it was normal again. now
I sail with open compartment and so far so good.
The alternator and batteries were checked and nothing wrong was found.
My batteries are the ASM or GSM from West Marine at $200+ each.