Re: cooking batteries

sy_windfall <sy_windfall@...>

I am not an Amel owner, so I don't know about the actual charger used
in one, but I do know that for a proper operation it is necessary to
measure temperature at the batteries. This temperature is one of the
variables which are used to determine the correct charge
current/voltage. It will reduce charge current when the temperature
rises above a certain level.

Just an idea.

Best,
Eddy May
--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "mgrunstein2002"
<mgrunstein2002@...> wrote:

can anyone comment on the subject. Recently, while motoring, the
battery
compartment heated up and upon opening it I was confronted with
steam,
sizzling with water accumulating on the floor of the compartment,
the
batteries too hot to the touch and strong smell. I left it open and
after a few hours they cooled down. This did not repeat when we
continued motoring and charging and discharging were again normal.

This happened again while we were connected to shore power, again
with
the compartment closed. When open and charging it was normal again.
now
I sail with open compartment and so far so good.

The alternator and batteries were checked and nothing wrong was
found.
My batteries are the ASM or GSM from West Marine at $200+ each.

Any ideas?