Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Onan Cranks But Won't Start

Olivier Beaute

Good morning Gary,

the Onan sometimes starts with difficulties because of electric power (although the main engine starts easily).
Is your starter battery in good condition (how old is it?)? Did you charge it while your 6 months on the hard.
To make sure this is not a battery problem, start your engine first, run it at 1200 rpm, then try to start the genset.
The problem could also be the pre-heating plugs that are dead (is the starter battery voltage going down when you're pre-heating?).

In french, we say: let's start with the beginning! The beginning is the starter battery. Then you will investigate the fuel supply line...

Good luck.

Olivier.

On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 7:25 AM, "Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

Hi Gary,

Think simple… if your engine starts then shuts down,  it is likely a fuel problem.

Good luck,

Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera, Amel Super Maramu 007

On 20 Jan 2016, at 04:57, 'Mike Ondra' mdondra@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello Gary.
Aletes’s Onan suffered similar symptoms this last spring after not being used for over 6 months. Check my posting Aug 1, 2015 “Onan generator will not run”. Carbon buildup at exhaust manifold/mixing elbow junction had restricted exhaust flow to the diameter of a pencil. Once relieve she started on the first bump.
Mike Ondra
Aletes SM#240