Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Onan Cranks But Won't Start

Mike Ondra

Hi Gary,

I pretty much went through what you did. Also had the injectors rebuilt all to no avail. Even checked for obstruction BETWEEN the exhaust mixing elbow and the thruhull. Ultimately loosening the exhaust manifold was the test that allowed an immediate start. After replacement, starts like a champ.

Lesson: Like the propulsion engine, the generator Kubota needs to see some load periodically to reach high enough temps to burn out the carbon on the exhaust side.

Will be interested to hear about what you find.

Mike

Aletes SM#240

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of amelliahona
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2016 11:10 AM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Onan Cranks But Won't Start

Hi Mike:

I am thinking that exhaust restriction is a possibility.

The fuel supply side checks out:

- New RaCore Filters prior to haul out and are clear

- Fuel topped up so condensation shuldn't have been problem

- Sumping the fuel filter revealed no water or crud

- Changed the fuel filter nevertheless

- Electric fuel pump puts out copious pressurized clean fuel at the bleed bolt

- Fuel shut off valve fully open and RaCore valve properly set to open

Only thing I can't/haven't checked on the fuel side of the equation is the injectors.

On the intake side I am going to pull the intake manifold to see if there seems to be any obstruction like a delaminated hose etc.

On the exhaust side, that is where I am putting my money. If there is an obstruction that would explain the low cranking speed (i.e. cranking agains an obstruction) and would also explain the failure to start. Thanks for the failure mode history.

Sincerely,

Gary Silver s/v Liahona Amel SM #335

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.