Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Broken/Snapped drive shaft

karkauai

Sorry to hear about your problem, Paul.  When mine broke I was 100 mm East of Puerto Rico in dead air...it took 3 days to sail back.
The shaft was broken between the transmission and the flex coupling where it's diameter stepped down about 14mm.

I had it repaired by a local machine shop.  They turned the larger diameter part down to the same size as the smaller part and made a sleeve which was fitted over both ends of the broken shaft and welded in place.  It still seemed strong two years later when I removed the CDrive to replace it when I had the electrolysis problem.
Amel said that the shafts and 90degree gears were made as a set and didn't want to sell me just the upper shaft.
It isn't hard to remove the shaft, but to put it back together you'll have to move the engine aft a bit.

I'm sure that mine failed because of worn out engine mounts.  I'd take this opportunity to change them now, too.

Please call me if you'd like to talk about this.  I'm in North Carolina at +1 828-234-6819

Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Jan 27, 2016, at 10:53 AM, Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Paul,

Just a thought...Fixing the problem in the BVI might be a little difficult due to lack of good marine resources, and knowledge of the Amel. Here in St Martin, the resources are much better, and it is only an 80 mile sail away. Also, Will has a special tool he had machined to help with the alignment process, and I'm sure he would let you use it. When Kent had his problem, he had it fixed in Puerto Rico, and he has the name of the mechanic who did the work.

Steve
Aloha Sm72
St Martin

On Jan 27, 2016, at 10:55, pflafrance@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

We have broken the shaft from the engine to the transmission. The shaft broke inside the Vetus Flex Coupling.
Has any one had to replace this part and if so how did it come off. Does Amel have a spare for this? We have emailed Amel and are awaiting their reply.

Paul & Susan LaFrance
SV NOMAD SM #362
Currently at anchor in Peter Island BVI