Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Maramu Survey

Richard Piller <richard03801@...>

Hi ck the bottom to be sure there are no blisters.  Ck the keel to hull joint. Ck your chain hause pipe and the windlass. All of your standing rigging including at the top of the masts.

Regards
Capt Richard Piller

On Jan 28, 2016, at 15:47, ecole2020@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I am new to the forum.  I will be going to see/survey/sea trial a Maramu in 2 days.  I'm about 90% sure I will be an Amel owner by the end of February.  But I'm prepared to walk if it is not what I want.  I hired the surveyor (recommended by local charter company) myself without owner input.  I have seen/crawled around a maramu before.  Boat, from owner's descriptions and from pictures (neither of them EVER lies, right?  :-)), is in good shape, was repowered with Yanmar, has extensive cruising kit (love the British term).  The bottom inspection will be performed after I leave.  Engine oil analysis will also be performed by an outside source. I have a couple questions:

1.  Even though the boat will be hauled and bottom inspected, would it be of any use for me to tote along my mask and snorkel and take an underwater peek myself while I'm there?  Not sure if I'd be able to learn anything from that, or not.

2.  Any deal-breaking issues I should pay particular attention to?  from what I have read, Maramu's are like tanks.  This boat is 33 years old and I know there will be significant wear and tear.  Fortunately, it has been used by the owner and not just sat.  I am not worried about cosmetic issues so much.  I'm sure the surveyor will point out things.  I just want to know if there is something that could be missed that could be a real problem down the road.

Thanks

Eric

s.v- TBD