Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Congratulations Bill and Judy

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Thanks to all of you for making this Group such a valuable resource to me and other Amel owners.

We crossed the Atlantic from the Canary Islands, dodging hurricane ALEX, and arrived in Martinique Friday about noon. It was an amazing sight...2 SM's crossed the finish line, under sail, and one after the other...we were the lead SM. Of the 20 boats in the rally, 4 were Amels and Amels were 3 of the first 4 boats finishing! BTW, a 55 crossed just before the BEBE and VIVA, the 2 Super Maramus. LIBERTAD, the fourth Amel in the rally which is a 33 year old Maramu will finish today, Monday. Dennis and Virginia Johns (LIBERTAD) stopped in the Verdes for fuel and had to wait 2.5 days for outbound clearances from the local officials.

The only thing that broke was the plastic base to the "not-so-quiet" Jabsco Quiet Flush toilet in the aft cabin. I think the simultaneous SE and NW 3 meter swells had something to do with this...and NO, it was not me on the throne when it happened. I cannot explain the crossing swell, but BEBE and her autopilot kept us on course. We ran 2 freezers and 1 fridge on the passage. I ran the generator with a 100 amp charger at 2100 and 0300 for about 1-1.5 hours each day. The 405 watt solar array took care of the rest of the power. Before the passage I lowered each sail and cut back the end of the 3 halyards (2 of which are original halyards) about 60-80cm. This included the part of the halyard that rests on the sheave at the top of the mast. The discarded line appeared to have very little abrasion, but did look a little distorted...safe rather than sorry. Judy and I have always been the only two aboard on any passage...this is the first time we have had a third crew member...wow, what a difference...I am not sure that I would ever cross an ocean with a total of two anymore.

I had one other problem that was caused by me and entirely my fault. I had a complete rigging inspection done by a good rigger in Malta. He told me that there was some dissimilar metal corrosion on the foil where the ballooner clip (the one that clicks) touches the foil. He said that he recommended some tape on the clip to insulate it from the foil. That damn tape kept the clip from staying hooked on the hooker and the 3 or 4 days that we could have used the twins, were not to be. BTW, I did drop the fore swivel and checked the clip and hooker attachment before we sailed. It worked at the dock, but there was no load on the hooker. If someone had mentioned this too me for advice, my advice would have been to NOT change what the Captain has done...I should have asked myself.

I wonder how those goose-neck barnacles attach to a boat sailing by at 6-8kts????

Cross an ocean and your respect and love for Amel increases amazingly.

Best,

Bill & Judy
BeBe #387

On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 9:26 AM, Stephanie DiBelardino stephiedib@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Congratulations! If "Bebe" is heading up-island, I have a bottle of Prosecco to celebrate the opportunity to meet Bill and Judy! I am so grateful to Bill for his generosity in sharing his wealth of knowledge.

Fair Winds!
Stephanie
Indecent, SM353