Re: SM Sea Chest Specifications

Duane Siegfri

I can't remember where I read the article, but it cautioned against using "hose bib pressure" to flush the seawater circuit.  The general thrust was if you connect the dock hose directly to a connection on the seachest, you will pressurize the seawater circuit, which can lead to filling the waterlift muffler and having it back up into the engine or generator.

I have a spare lid to the seachest with a quick-connect for a hose and have been using that to flush the entire seawater circuit.  So far it hasn't resulted in a problem, but the article I read has concerned me a great deal.