Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Jib forestay / Mouse Assembly

Giovanni TESTA

Hi Olivier,
about "why the jib forestay needs to be greased?" may you please tell us what happens
 when "we got a metal to metal screeching sound"?
 Is it a serious problem?
thanks so much
Buon Vento
Giovanni TESTA
sv EUTIKIA
SM2K n428

Il 04/02/2016 18:26, Beaute Olivier atlanticyachtsurvey@... [amelyachtowners] ha scritto:

Good evening Aras,

the genoa/ballooner furling system with hook and "mouse" release was developped in 1993 and your Sharki is probably not equipped with this system, unless you have changed your furling foil with a three groove one.
How many grooves are there in your foil, 2 or 3?
If 2, then your swivel is not the one that hooks and dehooks the ballooner with the "mouse".

Best regards.

Olivier.

On Thursday, February 4, 2016 5:41 PM, "Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

Hey Aras,

The Amel furler and forestay configuration is a bit unusual, and most riggers have never seen one. In our case when the forestay was dry, we got a metal to metal screeching sound when we furled. We rebuilt the entire system last summer, coated the fore stay with super lube synthetic grease, and it is now smooth and quiet. The superlube is a nice product, as it is clear and less messy than conventional waterproof grease.

Good luck with the furler rebuild.

Steve and Liz
Aloha SM 72
St Martin

On Feb 4, 2016, at 12:12, n33077@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Can anyone tell me why the jib forestay needs to be greased?  I took my forestay down to rebuild the electric motor and now I'm ready to put it back up.  Rigger and I curious why greasing the forestay is needed.

Also, Does anyone have a picture and nomenclature of the jib mouse assembly.   I do not have one and would to acquire for flying both jibs downwind.

I searched the forum but have not found anything substantive.

Thanks

Aras
Sharki # 163