Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Maramu Survey

Eric Colegrove <ecole2020@...>

Thank you all.  After survey, sea trial, negotiations, we have purchased s/v Deep Purple in Fajardo, PR.  Survey uncovered nothing major.  Bottom was inspected and tested for moisture. No blisters. Rig was inspected from top to bottom on both masts.  Boat has an external Yachtthruster bow thruster.  2008 55 HP Yanmar repower.  Electronics are good.  Interior was spotless.

Transaction all occurred without a broker- private party.  Saved $8,400 in sales tax in GA because it is a "casual sale".  TONS of paperwork, phone calls, faxing, scanning and emailing, etc.  A little bit of a hassle, but I'd do it all again to save that much money.  Anyone considering purchasing w/o broker welcome to ask.  Not as difficult as one might think.  Obviously, CYA (cover your a**) is the order of the day.  I had researched for 5 years and didn't want a buyers broker leading me towards boats I knew I didn't want.

Will sail her back to Georgia late March with crew and delivery captain.  Yes, could keep in beautiful PR instead of salt marsh/ mud water Georgia coast.  But I can't afford a plane ticket every time I want to tinker, and she will probably be safer in Georgia during hurricane season rather than PR.

My photos are not great.  I will upload as soon as I get good ones.

Eric
s/v Deep Purple (soon to be renamed)
1982 Amel Maramu

On Sunday, January 31, 2016 6:22 AM, "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

Eric,

You have received lots of good advice.

One more important piece of advice is to let this Group know the hull number, current name, and the location. With this information, you may get a worthwhile report from somebody familiar with the boat.

AND, possibly there is an Amel owner nearby who will inspect the boat with you. In most cases, an Amel owner will be much more valuable than a surveyor not familiar with Amels. I know of several recent pre-purchase inspections which the prospective buyers were accompanied by a current Amel owner...each of these that saved the buyers lots of $$$$'s.

Good luck, and listen to Joel Potter...he knows...period!

Best,

Bill
BeBe 387
Currently Martinique

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 2:34 AM, Richard Piller richard03801@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi ck the bottom to be sure there are no blisters.  Ck the keel to hull joint. Ck your chain hause pipe and the windlass. All of your standing rigging including at the top of the masts.

Regards
Capt Richard Piller

On Jan 28, 2016, at 15:47, ecole2020@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I am new to the forum.  I will be going to see/survey/sea trial a Maramu in 2 days.  I'm about 90% sure I will be an Amel owner by the end of February.  But I'm prepared to walk if it is not what I want.  I hired the surveyor (recommended by local charter company) myself without owner input.  I have seen/crawled around a maramu before.  Boat, from owner's descriptions and from pictures (neither of them EVER lies, right?  :-)), is in good shape, was repowered with Yanmar, has extensive cruising kit (love the British term).  The bottom inspection will be performed after I leave.  Engine oil analysis will also be performed by an outside source. I have a couple questions:

1.  Even though the boat will be hauled and bottom inspected, would it be of any use for me to tote along my mask and snorkel and take an underwater peek myself while I'm there?  Not sure if I'd be abl e to learn anything from that, or not.

2.  Any deal-breaking issues I should pay particular attention to?  from what I have read, Maramu's are like tanks.  This boat is 33 years old and I know there will be significant wear and tear.  Fortunately, it has been used by the owner and not just sat.  I am not worried about cosmetic issues so much.  I'm sure the surveyor will point out things.  I just want to know if there is something that could be missed that could be a real problem down the road.

Thanks

Eric
s.v- TBD