FW: [Amel Yacht Owners] Maramu Survey

Mark Erdos

Oops! Sorry when I re-read this, I made it confusing.

Both NC and SC have personal property taxes on boats. The sales and use tax is capped at $1500 in NC and is capped at $300 in SC. In SC there is no personal property tax on the vessel if the vessel is in the state for less than 180 days of the year. If the same is true for NC, it can be possible to avoid the personal property tax by moving the boat back and forth.

I found my notes on this when we were looking to place Cream Puff in Charleston, SC. The millage rate was 1.5% of the assessed value of the boat. For us this equated to about $5,000 per year – no thanks!

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Yacht: Cream Puff