Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Maramu Survey

Eric Colegrove <ecole2020@...>

Aware there will be tax, i.e. ad velorum tax.  Same situation with a car.  In Georgia, buy a car casual sale (no dealer), no sales tax due.  Buy from a dealer, must pay sales tax.  It has not always been that way.   Few years back, Georgia tried to figure a way to collect sales tax on private sales.  From memory, it lasted a few years before they changed the law back recently. But you DO get hosed on ad velorum tax when one registers a vessel.

Here is what my high school buddy, who works for ga dept of revenue said it is just like a car sale:

"As long as it's owned by an individual and not legally owned by a company, it's a casual sale and no sales tax is due.  If legally owned by a company, you would owe use tax (same % as sales tax).  As far as ad valorum,  it would depend on the assessed value (40% of fair market) times your mil rate for that county."

I'm hoping he is right.  I would expect so since he is pretty high up in the ranks.  It is a like/hate friendship with him.  LOL.

Here is what I found most recently:

Rule 560-12-1-.07. Casual Sale

(1)Invoking the rule of de minimis and because of the difficulties of administration and enforcement, no sales or use tax liability will be enforced against either the sellers or the purchaser in a casual sale transaction as herein defined, except as hereinafter provided.
(2)A "casual sale transaction" is:
(a)A sale in which the tangible personal property involved was not acquired or held by the seller for use in the operation of his business or for resale; or
(b)A sale of tangible personal property acquired or held by the seller for use in the operation of his business (not acquired or held for resale) if the total selling price of such sale and all such sales made during the calendar month of such sale and the preceding eleven calendar months does not exceed $500; or
(c)A sale of tangible personal property acquired or held by the seller for use in the operation of his business (not acquired or held for resale) if such sale is made in a complete and bona fide liquidation of a business of the seller. For purposes of this paragraph the term "business" means a separate place of business subject to registration under the Act; the term "a complete and bona fide liquidation" means the sale of all the assets of such business conducted over a period of time not exceeding thirty days from the date of the first sale of such assets, or a longer time if approved by the Commissioner as a bona fide liquidation.
(3)Notwithstanding any other provision of these regulations, when any seller sells tangible personal property for use or consumption through an agent, broker or other person who is regularly engaged in making sales of tangible personal property, either as a principal or as an agent, then, such a sale will not be deemed a casual sale transaction.
(4)
Notwithstanding any other provision of these regulations, if a sale is made by an individual who is employed by or associated with another person who is regularly engaged in the business of selling the same type of tangible personal property involved in such sale, then, such transaction will not be deemed a casual sale transaction and such individual shall register and comply with the obligations and liabilities of a dealer under the Act.

Seller got ready to employ a broker.  When I found this information and told him my offer just went down by $8,400, he fired the broker and it was a private party "casual" sale.  This is all wonderful information.  When I get the bill, we will find out how it all goes down, right?  LOL>

On Wednesday, February 10, 2016 10:24 PM, "'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

Eric,

Congrats and welcome to the group.

Saved $8,400 in sales tax in GA because it is a "casual sale".

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I think you need to revisit the GA sales and use tax. If the boat remains in GA for more than 60 days it will require a state registration. At this time you will need to prove you have paid tax on the vessel to GA or receive credit for tax paid in another US state. It is the USE part of the sales and use tax. The state is 4% plus the county percentage (unless you resided in a state other than GA at the time of the purchase).

We lived in GA when we purchased Cream Puff and could not see a way around the tax. Cream Puff never went to GA. We too did a lot of research and sought professional advice on taxes. If you have any questions, I may be able to help.

Here is the GA explanation of the USE tax:

Watercraft imported into this state are subject to use tax at the rate of the county of delivery or first use. Credit will be granted for sales tax previously paid to another state against any use tax liability that may exist. When a watercraft has been used outside of this state for more than six months, use tax will be due on the purchase price or fair market value, whichever is lower. In addition, no tax is due on watercraft purchased outside of this state by persons not domiciled in this state but who subsequently become domiciled in this state and bring the watercraft into the state as a result of the change of domicile, as long as the watercraft is not brought into the state for use in a trade, business, or profession.

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000
Hull #275
www.creampuff.us
Currently cruising:  Marsh Harbour – Abaco Islands - Bahamas