Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bottom paint

Warren Traill

Thankyou Olivier for your learned advice

Sent from Windows Mail

From: 'Mike Ondra' mdondra@... [amelyachtowners]
Sent: ‎Saturday‎, ‎13‎ ‎February‎ ‎2016 ‎12‎:‎54‎ ‎a.m.
To: 'Mike Ondra' mdondra@... [amelyachtowners]

Hello Warren,

the barrier that AMEL spreads while manufacturing the hull is made of isophtalic polyester resin with 1-2 mm glass scales. It is put just after the gel-coat is spread into the mould.  AMEL started this process in 1987 as some boats made in Europe were starting to get "blisters" on the outside of the hull, under the gel-coat.

However, your Sharki may have never suffered "blistering". Don't use too powerful high pressure machine to wash your hull (maximum 80 bars) as this is a major cause for starting blistering and osmosis.

Good luck for your hull works.

Olivier.

On Friday, February 12, 2016 12:26 PM, "trailz@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Great and timely information for us. We are about to take our Sharki out for anti fouling.
Bill do you know if Sharki’s built in 1980 also featured this propriety osmotic coat?
We are hauling out in Malaysia and plan to use Jotun Seaforce 90.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
Warren and Zetta
Manon2