Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bottom paint

Andrew & Kate Lamb

We tried to get someone in France to do the "hydro gommage' but we could not find anyone to do a boat as the boat would have to be put in a special part of the yard and surrounded by plastic - their enthusiasm quickly went when they realised this! In the end we hand scraped the bottom this took seven days of hard work for two people and two days sanding off the initial grey primer with fine sand paper.

Andrew

Ronpische
Canet-en-Ronpische
SM472

On 12 Feb 2016, at 18:32, Beaute Olivier atlanticyachtsurvey@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello Eric,

there are now machines that do a very good job. In France we call it "hydro-gommage" which can be translated by water-erasing. In fact, this is a soft sand blasting with water and a special kind of sand based on sodium bicarbonate (ARMEX). With these machines, as Ian wrote, the operator can do a very accurate job, not removing any gel-coat.
Have a look at GRITCO dot FR (in english) or aerogommage dash probanet dot fr (french speaking).

Good luck for this job. Your hull will be happy and faster...

Olivier.

On Friday, February 12, 2016 6:10 PM, "sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello Olivier,
Do you think I should have the hull media blasted or hand scraped and sanded down to gel coat?
Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376