Re: TDS levels

Judy Rouse

When and where are you taking these TDS readings? Water with
readings that high are not considered safe for human consumption. I
may be wrong, but I believe that the WHO limit is 500 and the US
standard is 300. We were getting readings of 480-495 when we stopped
using the watermaker and went to bottled water until we could obtain
replacement membranes. After replacing the membranes we get TDS
readings ranging from 97 to 160, which is very good.

Your boat may or may not have come equipped with an easily accessible
test faucet; ours did not. We installed a separate faucet at the
galley sink and diversion valves that allow us to divert the product
water into the sink until it tests and TASTES good. Then we turn the
valve and fill the water tank. We also installed another water
filter between the tank and the new faucet. We use that faucet for
our drinking water when not making water. See our photos on this
website.

Judy Rouse
S/V Security
Amel SM2 #387

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Ian & Judy Jenkins"
<ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:

Old subject, new info sought. I have the 60 lph watermaker which
over 6
years has delivered over 70,000 litres.( Getting on for 1500 hours)
However,
armed with my new portable TDS meter I see that the water it is
now
producing has a TDS reading of 1270. You can just distinguish the
taste
against bottled water.
For comparison, the Dessalator manual says that sea water
typically has
36,000 TDS and that the watermaker should turn out water at 500
TDS. ( it
talks of filtering the water to 2%, although strictly 2% would be
closer to
720 TDS) .Our shore tap water is about 112, same as bottled water.
We cannot change our membranes until the end of the season ( we
are
cruising in Argentina and Southern Chile again) so these questions
arise:
Assuming we continue to get a reading of about 1270 ( ie about 3.6%
residue
rather than 2%)
1. What are the safe levels for drinking the water by itself? (It
tastes
ok at the moment and I ususlly mix it 50-50 with fruit juice)
2. Should there be any doubts that for all other purposes this
level is
OK? I have no reason to think that for cooking and showering this
level is
easily refined enough and I would be surprised if it was at all
troubling to
the washing machine or dishwasher. However, I would be interested
in anyone
elses view.
3. Assuming that there are no problems at the present level of
1270 TDS,
what level would be a cause of concern for drinking?
Thankfully where we are going the heavens deliver ample supplies
of water
so we have no real concerns in the short term. I am sure I can
remember how
to rig up a water catchment system.
As always,any views on the subject would be most welcome.
Fair winds and lotsa rain, Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM
302,
Argentina

Windows Liveā„¢ Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for
free!