Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Facebook Group

Andrew & Kate Lamb

Hi

Bill and other experienced Amel owners that contribute so much to this site have helped me enormously over the last few years and I hope they will continue to. They add enormous value to this site and our boats by being available to offer their advice for free as well as the increasing library of information now available from them. I am immensely grateful for that. This is more important than any web platform and we must listen to them.

Gary's work on the new site is very much welcomed and appreciated. One possible way to help move things forward is for the new site to receive a feed of messages posted from this site i.e Gary can you set it up like yahoo where an email to it's address creates or updates an existing thread and distributes an email to those opted in for push emails? If so you could register the new sites address with the yahoo forum and therefore "link" the forums - we would then have a parallel copy of the yahoo forum messages on the new site. This might be a good transition option.

However my biggest concerns / reservations remain about Gary's site - I don't believe these have been addressed:

Yahoo (and Facebook) has more than one person behind their application and infrastructure.

What happens if the new site is hacked when Gary is between continents enjoying his Amel, or for whatever reason the bill has not been paid for the web space and the ISP deletes the web space account. I think these and other similar concerns should be addressed first.

Andrew
Ronpische
SM472
Canet en Roussillon

On 21 Feb 2016, at 05:12, simms simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi all.
I've been on the amel site and we have owned ocean pearl since 2008.
It has been immensely valuable to me.
I would like to make two points.
First tech savvy people can do things on the Internet I can't begin to understand and no doubt that is why they find the yahoo site frustrating.  BUT. In my non tech way I find my way around and get all I need and I suspect many many others are the same.
Second point and most importantly the value of the site is unquestionably the quality of the advice freely given. Go look at the cruisers forum if you want to see what I mean. Lose the hugely experienced and generous contributers and no matter how fancy or technical the site, it will die.
I AM HUGELY gratefull to the likes of bill from bebe  and others who have given us so much of their time and knowledge. Thank you guys. Please please keep doing what you do so well. I won't name any more in case I leave one out.
That's my lot
Cheers
Danny 299 Ocean pearl

Sent from Samsung Mobile