Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Tandem anchoring system

Rink De Haan

Dear all with a Rocna anchor.

When looking for a backup anchor when you have a Rocna primary anchor read this article by Peter Smith the designer of the Rocna anchor.
http://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-anchors/tandem-anchoring.php

I bought a Rocna 33 at first, but found it too light in strong winds. So I bought the Rocna 40 and kept the 33 as a backup and fitted it out as a tandem just like Gerhardt described

The Rocna is the only anchor, as far as I know, that is designed to be used as a tandem. There is a special hole to connect.

Cheers
Rink
SY Razor's Edge
SM 2K #330

Sent from Outlook Mobile

On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 8:03 AM -0800, "Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks Gerhart.  I'll keep thinking about it.  If I come up with something easier I'll let you know.
Kent

On Feb 21, 2016, at 10:23 AM, pepinoamel <no_reply@...> wrote:

Hi Kent,

I'm afraid it does involve a bit of bending over and my back is also not too good.  So I don't really know an easy way but the way I do it is:

1. I use 10 metres of 10mm chain on the Guardian.  I have to reach along the Rocna to get to the front of it and attach the chain to the Rocna . I then lower the Guardian by lifting it over the railing into the water.

2. When retrieving it, the Rocna comes up all the way in its usual position with the chain hanging over the back of the fluke.  I then attach a 10mm line to the Guardian chain, just in front of where the chain is attached to the Rocna, and bring that line around to the starboard roller to the cleat.  This is a safety precaution because when you unshackle the Guardian chain from the Rocna you could easily drop it.

After that I unshackle the chain from the Rocna and bring the Guardian in on the starboard roller.

It's not back saving but I'm not doing it every day and it certainly feels better at times to have a second anchor out.

Gerhard Hoffmann

Pepino SM381

Evia, Greece