Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Batteries - What type house batteries to use & what voltage charge from Solar/Wind?

jjjk12s@...

Kent

What about pivotting solar panels on the guard rails outside the aft cabin top rather than need an arch. Say with two decent sized solar panels when using the autopilot a lot under sail it still wouldn't likely be enough but at anchor and with LED lights or using the engine a bit each day the gen set should not get much use.

I've just removed my wind generator rather than replace it.. With solar, a smart regulator on the engine and a battery monitor you should find much much less gen set use but still need occasional boost. The solar panels are good to maintain a charge when the boat is unattended as well as that's often a killer for wet cell batteries, and obviously the reduced cycling will help.

I think two solar panels on the rails are definately worthwhile..

John Maramu #91 Popeye