Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Ha anyone considered a titanium shackle? Broken shackle on Main Sail car

jjjk12s@...

Steve and Liz,

Well said. Some discussions are too black and white. Ok a shackle should not be stronger than the car but we all know stainless steel shackles vary a lot. 630 stainless has a uts of over 1000 MPa, Aqualloy 22 700 to 1000 Mpa and 316 only about 600 MPa. (I know as I've recently swapped a 630 shaft for a Metalloy) Shackles too are made from different steels. The shackle can be stronger without being stronger than the car. It also has to be the correct grade of stainless to cope with fatigue.  304 is about 500 Mpa but more ductile than 316. Put two engineers together and get three opinions!

John,  Maramu #91 Popeye