Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Solar. Wind gem and arch

Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@...>

What kind of solid data do you want Bill? We might be able to provide you with it.

A wind generator can not replace solar panels, it is a complement.

Regards 
Annsofie
S/Y Lady Annila SM 232, 1998

Skickat från min iPad

28 feb. 2016 kl. 23:55 skrev 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

Wind generators may be a good thing with winds of 20kts, but Have you looked at historical data...there is not anyplace in the world that I would cruise to that has a constant 20kts of wind.

In fact, there is no solid data that wind generators are as good of value in terms of KwH/$ as solar. I have tried for 10 years to get solid data from anyone who has wind generators. I have not received one bit of solid historical data in order to build a comparison/value model for wind, solar and diesel generator. It seems to me the best that I get is something like "last weekend when the wind was blowing and it was cloudy, my wind generator provided all I needed. OTH, there is solid historical data on solar. BTW, I did build a a comparison/value model for solar vs diesel generator...and the results are amazing...at least to me.

If money is no object buy both; if you are like me, you will choose one of them...choose wisely.

Best,

Bill
BeBe 387

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 8:02 PM, simms simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Kent.  Usually once a day unless there us no no sun or wind With good wind 20 knots plus not at all.
We have just had a month on the boat cruising.  We may have used it 10 times in total ,if that. However we did a bit of motoring so that charged too 
 Cheers
Danny 
Sm 299 Ocean pearl 

Sent from Samsung Mobile

-------- Original message --------
Date:29/02/2016 03:01 (GMT+12:00)
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Solar. Wind gem and arch

Thanks for the feedback.  Danny, with your solar and wind, how often do you run your generator while cruising?
Thanks
Kent

On Feb 28, 2016, at 2:23 AM, simms simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Kent
Because I wasn't prepared go cross oceans relying on diesel power for l my charging.  So we put a wind
Generator and solar tpanels on. Be a use of shortage of time  and cash we put two 130 watt panels on the port rail beside the aft cabin.  These swivel.readily when docking  I promised myself  to do something else if they were a nuisance there
They have not been and I have no reason to change.
We put a 350 watt super wind self feathering wind Gen on top of the mizzen.  Perfect,

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.