Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Solar. Wind gem and arch

Nat Bossett

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 08:21:18PM +0100, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@xs4all.nl [amelyachtowners] wrote:
Fuel cell is only good on racers with unlimited budgets???

Not yet up to solar efficiency.
Newer, high quality fuel cells should be quiet and push power whenever you
need it (unlike solar/wind).

On the downside, their power production tends to be low for the
cost compared to the spread of solar panels you can put on a cruiser or
the diesel's alternator.

Plus, with the EFOY's you're adding an extra type of flammable liquid to
carry on your boat in bulk (alcohol).

Check your power consumption to see how much of a difference it will make
in time between firing up the diesel or genset.

Good equipment, but for cruising it looks a bit pricey to me, though I've
got a friend who gets good service from an EFOY for racing.

-Nathan

Maramu #29