Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Maintenance SSB antenna

bob Sarff <bob.sarff@...>

Alan, I have a Maramu and use the backstay as my SSB antenna.  It's been working well.  I was wondering if lengthening the antenna by  connecting my insulated triatic with gto-15 cable would improve reception/transmission.

Thanks for any advise you can offer.

Bob
SV Chara
Currently in Fiji

On Mar 2, 2016, at 7:45 AM, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

The insulated triatic is not useable as an SSB antenna.To answer the question though, the core of the coax is connected to the insulated triatic, the shiled is not connected to anything.

The triatic may work as a weatherfax receiver (its original intention) but as an SSB antenna it is useless...I know from experience.
I connected my antenna wire from the tuner to the main backstay and it worked well. WE now have an insulated backstay for our SSB antenna...insulated only to prevent shocking the crew...the Amel rig is not grounded.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437