Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: furlers gear box lubrication

eric freedman

I decided to not use Zerk grease  fittings on my gearboxes. I drilled and tapped the genoa and main gearboxes with a 5 mm tap. On one side of the box the hole is high the other side is low.

I then use nylon screws to seal off the holes. They will never rust or corrode.

I use an adapter that fits my grease gun from Autoprop which is 5 mm.

By putting grease in the lower hole and catching the old grease from the higher hole, I can tell when the box is full of new grease. In addition I do not have to worry about blowing the lip seal out of the gearbox.

You can also see that you have new grease and no water in the gearbox

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376