Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Installation problem for stainless steel cast mixing elbow for YANMAR engine 4JH3

VLADIMIR SONSEV

I should of say threaded pins or threaded studs. I have the same arranment as you have. But with 12 mm flange it was only 1 full thread left for a nut to engage. The threads at the end of the threaded pins were compromised by corrosion.

On Mar 8, 2016 2:44 PM, "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Vladamir,

I am going to look into my crystal ball for your engine type...but, in the mean time, I am guessing that you have a Yanmar based on your hull number and assuming it is the original engine. So you either have the 75hp or 70-"something" hp or the 100hp.

There are no "pins" on the 100hp Yanmar, originally installed by Amel on BeBe #387; and the flange on the casted stainless elbow that I bought from the eBay seller and I installed is 12mm. It installs by installing the metal gasket, then installing the elbow over threaded studs that have nuts to tighten the elbow in place.

So, since you mention "pins" and since you say the "pins" are not long enough, I must assume that either someone has modified your 100hp Yanmar, changed the original engine, OR, maybe you have the 70-"something" hp Yanmar...OR, possibly when you refer to "pins" you are referring to the threaded metal studs. If this is the case, probably someone changed those studs and did not buy the correct length.

Can you please tell me which of the above it is? And, tell me what model Yanmar and serial number you have. I suspect an engine modification or engine change is the source of your problem.

Bill
BeBe 387
Rodney Bay Marina

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 6:03 PM, Vladimir Sonsev sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill,
I bought the same mixing elbow as all of you. But it has thick mounting flange 12 mm and mounting pins on my engine were not long sufficiently to accommodate thick flange. Fabricated elbow has 6 mm flange.

On Mar 8, 2016 12:43 PM, "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Vladimir,

I did not see what engine you have, BUT, the one I bought from an eBay supplier was a simple installation and perfect fit on my 100hp Yanmar 4JH3-HTE, and several other Yanmar models owned by non-Amel friends who have the 56hp, 75hp, and 110hp Yanmar.

Bill
BeBe

On Sun, Mar 6, 2016 at 12:07 PM, Vladimir Sonsev sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Eric,

You are correct. That is also a solution. I will try to do that on Monday.

I wrote my original email as a warning to those who has this cast elbow. It is not just simple replacement.

Did anybody use liquid gasket in addition to a metal one for installation of new mixing elbow?

Vladimir
SM 345 "Life is Good"

On Mar 5, 2016 8:33 PM, "sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Why don’t you take the elbow to a machine ship and have them mill off 6 mm of the flange?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376