Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Coppercoat revisited

Peter Killen

I had exactly the same experience with Coppercoat some years ago, and reverted to normal anti fouling as a result.
Peter killen
Pure Magic
SM433

On 9 Mar 2016, at 14:22, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

As some of you know I am prejudiced against Coppercoat because of the experiences of others that I know and what I have seen. I am also prejudiced against Coppercoat and any other product that makes claims of endurance 2-4 times the normal range.

I received this from a Canadian Professor (Chemistry PhD) and active cruiser to the Med, Caribbean, Pacific, Indian, South Africa, and North America:

"There was a discussion about Coppercoat some time ago and I said that
we had it for 3 years and were happy with it. Well, I just want to
post an update:

We've noticed bubbles on our Coppercoat. There were a few, but then
regularly more and more started appearing all over the place. We were
sure that it was because of unprofessional application of Coppercoat
back in South Africa.

We've just hauled out at a yard who used to be a Coppercoat supplier.
It turns out that our issue with bubbles is not unique, but rather a
byproduct of Coppercoat design. They said that the issue is with the
primer being solvent-based and Coppercoat being water-based. If
Coppercoat is applied even on slightly not-cured epoxy primer, then
the primer will off gas resulting in bubbles. On the other hand if
Coppercoat is applied to the dry primer it won't be able to adhere
well resulting in larger areas falling off. That's why this yard
stopped distributing and applying Coppercoat.

So now we're up to redoing the bottom paint including epoxy primer
frown emoticon. There is a quite new large Catana next to us that also
had to strip falling off Coppercoat. An expensive lesson in chemistry,
eh?"

I thought that you Coppercoat believers should know and be aware of this.

Bill
BeBe 387
Rodney Bay Marina for a week