Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Solar Energy System

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Duane,

I agree completely with your logic.

One thing to consider is if the pole mounts work, they will be far cheaper than an arch to support solar panels. I have not regretted adding 3 of the 135 watt Kyocera panels with a solar arch that looks really good. Generator time has been cut to about 1/3 of what it was before the solar, and the batteries do not discharge as much.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 8:11 PM, sailor63109@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill,

Thanks for your reply.  I agree with you about Cruisers Forum in general.

I saw the comment here several months ago that angle to the sun isn't a large factor anymore.  However on all the sizing programs there is a reduction in efficiency (larger in higher latitudes) for mounting the panel horizontal.  I haven't seen any discussion in Kyocera's literature about the angle of the panel being countered by the panel construction.

I found an article that had the following graph to demonstrate the impact of tilt (angle from Horizontal) "Iann" is the "annual incident solar radiation on a surface" for a panel oriented due south.

from: http://www.builditsolar.com/References/EFFECTS_OF_TILT_AND_AZIMUTH_ON_ANNUAL_INCIDENT_SOLAR_RADIATION.pdf

  Based on the graph, in Miami tilt doesn't have much impact, so a fixed mount may be just as well.  Also the recommended tilt angle is less in lower latitudes.  The swivel pole mount I found was over $500 each (not including the pole) so it's a pricey add, and probably not worth it.

What got me started on the pole mount is that we have a stainless pole on the aft stbd quarter now supporting a Thrane Sailor 250 sat phone.  The Thrane is too pricey a monthly fee for me so I can use the pole for something else.  I also don't like having the panels along the rail, too prone to cause injury and not very aesthetic.

Duane
Wanderer, SM#477