Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] A take on the 55

James Wendell <ms42phantom54@...>

I have been reading the interesting comments regarding the Amel "progression" from the early models through the newer 55. I have a 54 that is nearing ten years old (2007) now. I can attest to the layout differences and can honestly say that I prefer the 54 layout (water-slapping on the stern notwithstanding - yes it is loud, but that is why Amel provided a "pontoon"). I have been on the 55 and feel that it is a huge departure from the Amel philosophy. Even though it had a full aft cabin, I did not like the forward arrangements. One good thing, though, is the fact that you can now walk under the mizzen boom - at least I can. And I do like the coordinated mainsail furling operation.

One of my main peeves with the 55, if you will, is the incredibly high free board. You literally have to climb up into the boat at any normal dock, and it is quite a shock. Although I have not sailed the 55, I have to believe that is not going to be a good thing in high crosswinds. I further do not like the contemporary look of the interior, although that may just be my appeal for the "traditional" look of the SM and 54.

Part of my opinions may stem from the fact that I could not afford a new 55, so I have completely retrofitted my 54 to an almost new condition. That includes (unfortunately) a new Volvo Penta D3-150, which I am expecting in the next month or so. But I have to look at the sliver lining in the cloud - had my engine not failed, I would not have been able to do a full refit.

While there might be those who feel that newer is better, in my opinion the 54 is a better boat - and a true Amel. The 55 appears as a high-class Dufour.

Best wishes to future Amel owners regardless of how they proceed.

Jamie Wendell

s/v Phantom Amel 54

On Monday, March 21, 2016 8:49 PM, "svperegrinus@... [amelyachtowners]"

The 55 features a massive aft owner's cabin and it has a large number of features that make it more comfortable to live on than a 53.

The 55 is even easier to sail than the 53.

The 55 keeps most of the classic Amel features and introduces several new Amel features.

The 55 does not have every single feature that the old Amels had.  Some have been superseded.  A few mechanical features such as the mechanical fresh water meter, formerly present, may no longer be there.  If this is critical to one, one should consider an older Amel, but this is no reason to deem the 55 unworthy of its legacy.

The 55 is faster and roomier than prior models and features up-to-date available technologies in many areas that are very difficult or not cost-effective to retrofit to older models.

Is the 55 perfect?  No.  The 54 was not perfect.  The 53 was not perfect.  No boat is perfect.  Every boat is a series of compromises.

The 55 is the contemporary version of an Amel.

If we had the money now, we would have a 55.    As it is, we are very happy with our 53.  Someday, we way upgrade.

Cheerio,

Peregrinus
SM2K N. 350
docked Reial Club Maritim, Barcelona