Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] What meen the name Maramu

Bill Kinney <greatketch@...>

Sorry, Bill, but in this case you’re wrong.  A “Maramu” is the reinforced trade winds in Polynesia, at least according the World Voyage Planner by Jimmy Cornell were he writes:

“…in the trade wind zones, where direction is more constant, the strength of the forecast wind should be the deciding factor This is particularly true when there is a forecast of reinforced trade winds, known in Tahiti as maramu.”

It is possible there is a wind in the Med with the same name, but I have never seen a reference to it.  Has anyone else?

The is also a village in France called “Maramu” but I don’t think there is any connection to the boat.”

Bill Kinney
Harmonie, SM160
Cape Canaveral, Florida

On Mar 29, 2016, at 07:00, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Maramu is one on the winds in the Mediterranean. There seem to be a number of them like the fast-blowing wind from the  north during the summer in the Aegean Sea. It is a Meltemi.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Mar 29, 2016 12:39, "eljaroellinghoff@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hallo all a frind of mine ask me last week on the boat ,
What meens Maramu ??
And i had no answer , and didnt find by www.

Best wishes
Elja