Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Vibrations Propellor Shaft, engine ?

karkauai

I tricked my SM from Lake Texoma to Galveston TX 8 yrs ago.  I'm sorry I don't know the heights, but they used a low-rider truck bed which only had 8-10 inches of clearance from the ground, and removed the hard dodger to get her low enough to go under bridges and wires.  They did not remove the safety railings.  She came through without a scratch.
Kent
SM243
Kristy 

On Apr 24, 2016, at 1:55 AM, lokiyawl2 lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Jean Pierre,
    I did a physical measurement of the bridge I would need to clear using a helium balloon and string and the measurement would leave 2-3' of clearance.  The moon tide is is only 1/2" at this location.  
   There is another vertical measurement that I need so that I can determine if a SM could be trucked to my shop.  It is the fixed total vertical height from the bottom of the keel to the top of the highest fixed structure.
Thanks for your help,
James

Sent from my Galaxy S®III

-------- Original message --------
From: "Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners]"
Date:04/24/2016 1:38 AM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Vibrations Propellor Shaft, engine ?

Hi James,

Mast head height of an SM is 65 feet 2 inches.  Add the length of the antennas…

GL with your search.

Jean-Pierre Germain
Eleuthera SM007

On 24 Apr 2016, at 04:21, lokiyawl2 lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Herbert,
   I am looking to buy an Amel but have not yet decided on which model yet.  The Super Maramu is very tempting but the size, transportability and mast height all make the 46' models more practical.  I own an inland yard in Florida where I would like to do the refit and there is one fixed bridge to the marina and then overhead wire considerations for the hydraulic trailer ride to my shop.  On this note if anyone might know the total vertical dimension of the SM it would be helpful.  I have looked at the Maramu and like it a lot. The workmanship, the thought put into the design and construction really impressed me.  I like the lines of the Santorin and the transom design would certainly be a nice feature.  I was originally thinking of going with the basic Maramu without a thruster, c drive and the in mast furling.  The input I am getting from experienced owners is that the retractable thrusters are well worth the complexity and maitenance required so I am rethinking all of this.  As a Sanotrin owner could you give me some input on how your boat differs from the Maramu?  Does the Santorini have the more modern underwater lines that the AM does?

Thanks,
James

Sent from my Galaxy S®III

-------- Original message --------
Date:04/23/2016 3:10 PM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Vibrations Propellor Shaft, engine ?

thanks JP, we also changed now the engine and transmission mounts, engine vibrations are gone, but the vibration of the propellor is still there if we are "sailing fast", but now it starts when sailing more than ~ 7,3 knots, below that no vibrations. when these vibrations start we put in the reverse gear to avoid the propellor spinning. we will not takle any more action on that.
herbert
SN 120, KALI MERA

Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera, Amel Super Maramu 007
Porto Turistico Marina di Ragusa, Pontoon M15,
97100 Ragusa, Sicily, Italy
+44 7551 211 511
jp.germain@...

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.