Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Onan Generator and Starting Battery

eric freedman

Jim,

As bill mentioned the Generator/engine start battery negative should not be connected to the house bank.

The generator has a floating ground which means as soon as the generator is started the generator is disconnected from the battery, The only thing that is connected to the battery when the generator is running is the Isolated ground Alternator.

Did you check to see where the leads for the Blue Seas volt meter are connected?

If it has its ground hooked to the generator you will get an erroneous reading as it is no longer connected to the battery. What reading do you get when the engine is running?

Make sure that the voltmeter is connected both negative and positive directly to the battery.

I believe this might be your problem.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376