Hello Andrew and thank you for your reply.

Yes I currently have the same condition with the starting battery voltage reading on my system monitor reading low voltage. But when the generator is off the monitor reads the correct voltage for the starting battery. Does yours do the same?

Jim S/V Liebling, PV Mexico

On 2016-04-26 03:22, Andrew Lamb andrew.lamb@telemed.co.uk [amelyachtowners] wrote:
Jim
A couple of years ago I changed my Xantec monitor to a Victron Monitor
which advertised that it would measure the house batteries and the
starter motor battery for me. I thought this would be really good as
well as the fact that it integrates with the other Victron products
and allows me to gather together all the charging, inverting solar
power data etc and remotely monitor these. Problem is on the Amel the
house batteries and started battery are isolated from each other and
the Victron battery monitor relies on them sharing the -ve to measure
load and voltage correctly. I therefore get pretty much a random value
usually around 3 volts on the starter battery recorded - it does vary
a bit but essentially it is random as the two systems are isolated
from each other. I wonder if you are experiencing the same thing - I
just decided to live with it rather than making any changes to the
isolation that is clearly there by design.
Andrew
Ronpische
SM 472
Canet-en-Roussillon
FROM: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com]
SENT: 26 April 2016 06:18
TO: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
SUBJECT: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Onan Generator and Starting Battery
Eric and Bill,
Thank you for your speedy comments and warnings. I will share your
input with my electrician tomorrow and get back to you.
Jim SM #207
On 2016-04-25 21:46, sailormon kimberlite@optonline.net
[amelyachtowners] wrote:
> JIM,
>
> AS BILL MENTIONED THE GENERATOR/ENGINE START BATTERY NEGATIVE
SHOULD
> NOT BE CONNECTED TO THE HOUSE BANK.
>
> THE GENERATOR HAS A FLOATING GROUND WHICH MEANS AS SOON AS THE
> GENERATOR IS STARTED THE GENERATOR IS DISCONNECTED FROM THE
BATTERY,
> THE ONLY THING THAT IS CONNECTED TO THE BATTERY WHEN THE GENERATOR
IS
> RUNNING IS THE ISOLATED GROUND ALTERNATOR.
>
> DID YOU CHECK TO SEE WHERE THE LEADS FOR THE BLUE SEAS VOLT METER
ARE
> CONNECTED?
>
> IF IT HAS ITS GROUND HOOKED TO THE GENERATOR YOU WILL GET AN
ERRONEOUS
> READING AS IT IS NO LONGER CONNECTED TO THE BATTERY. WHAT READING
DO
> YOU GET WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING?
>
> MAKE SURE THAT THE VOLTMETER IS CONNECTED BOTH NEGATIVE AND
POSITIVE

----