Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Generator failure (Field Breaker) won’t start

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Alex,

I am not sure what you mean by "field breaker." Could you explain that further. My Onan has an Emergency Stop switch (breaker), a DC Breaker, and a 230VAC 30 Amp breaker. This 30 Amp breaker is on the left side of the generator, the other two are on the main generator control panel. Mine will not start with either the Emergency or the DC set to OFF. It will start with those two ON and the 30 Amp OFF.

Also, am I correct that you generator will start and run, but shuts down when something...possibly what you refer to as field breaker, is turned ON? That sounds to me a an electrical short.

I know we have different models, but they aren't that different.

Let me know.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On May 9, 2016 3:08 PM, "Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Good afternoon,

The passage from Samana (Dominican Republic) to San Juan (Puerto Rico) was rough (as the waive were in the nose, so lots of pounding.

As usual I started the genset to recharge the batteries, 2 or 3 minutes later was a big waive/pounding and it stopped.
The “Field breaker” pop.

I switch off all the 220 volt device, press the “Field breaker” back, started then shut down instantly, I tried starting with the DC breaker off, etc. same it shuts down instantly.
I don’t even know where to start to find the problem.

I own the ONAN MDKAL B Specs
http://nikimat.com/onan_mdkal_b_specs_12_volt_kubota_d1105.html
Unless I am mistaking there is no code to see (unlike the more recent genset).

Prior that I only used the genset lasts week for 18 minutes all was ok. Before that was a month before for 1.4 hour to exercise all the systems and all was ok.

Thanks in advance for your help…

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Club Nautico de San Juan, Puerto Rico