Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Super Maramu Dodger window replacement

James Alton

Joel,
  I wanted to let you know that there is also a non air inhibited gel coat that cures hard and even shiny without any additives or PVA needed.  I have used it for boat repairs and also on sailplanes.  It isgreat for bilges and lockers etc. It can be tinted with regular polyester tints or the factory will mix even small quanities to a chip.  There is only one source that I know of, it is Simtec Coatings in Noroco Ca.  I can provide the contact information if anyone wants it. The product blends beautifully when feathered.  The UV resistance is less than moulded factory gel coat unfortunately.  Best. James

Sent from Samsung Mobile

-------- Original message --------
From: "'Joel Potter' jfpottercys@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
Date: 05-13-2016 10:36 AM (GMT-04:00)
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Super Maramu Dodger window replacement

Or use gel coat with surfactant wax already in, then you don’t need to cover the curing  gel coat with PVC spray. The guy at the gel coat store will know what you want if you just tell him you want wax in and not waxless. That’s how they taught me at Amel school!

Thanks for remembering, Craig. I forgot…

Joel

Sent: Friday, May 13, 2016 8:52 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Super Maramu Dodger window replacement

Graham and all,

Joel gave me this secret a few years back - Amel used gelcoat - same color as dodger. Be sure to use additive so it cures in air. Works like a charm.

Cheers, Craig, SN#68 Sangaris

---In amelyachtowners@..., <yahoogroups@...> wrote :

Graham,

Good question. I do not know the answer because the Plexiglass supplier I used to cut the pieces chose the paint. He did an exact job predrilling all of the holes which matched up exactly.

I can see a few tiny places where he used too much sealant to secure the foam gasket for the port side opening windshield. Take care with the use of sealant on the gasket. Possibly if you can use your router to cut a slightly smaller slot for the gasket, you will not need to use sealant. My guess is this is how Amel did it. Try with some scraps of plexiglass before you decide.

I believe that the paint us an important part of making this look good. I used gray tinted plexiglass. Through the plexiglass the white paint he used looks gray. Probably should have used black paint, but white looks OK. 

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On May 12, 2016 9:38 AM, "crwggb@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I am replacing the perspex windows on my fixed wind screen. On removal of the old ones it was observed that the edges of the windows were painted to hide the sealant when in position. Can any one tell me what sort of paint was used for this job and how the perspex was treated prior to painting to allow maximum adhesion.

I believe there has been a thread on this subject before but for the life of me I cant find it, perhaps someone has the message number?

Graham Boyd

SM140 Sula

Hong Kong

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.