Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Nothing to do with sailing--Flying STOL

James Alton

JPG,

  You have certainly done some amazing flying..and landings!  You must have made some good judgement calls to still be here.   I used to fly sailplanes cross country and sometimes would end up in a pasture instead of at an airport at the end of a flight.  I found that it be pretty interesting to try and judge the ground conditions from the air, but thankfully it always worked out.

  The Maramu is located in Sardinia.   This will be my very first visit to the Med.  One of the primary reasons for wanting to buy a boat in this area was to insure that we had a chance to cruise the Med. since  I don’t feel comfortable with the Red Sea entry option and the other way is a long way out of the way.

   The general plan is to come back in August to work on the boat and sail for perhaps 1 month this year, likely returning the boat to Sardinia for dry storage.  Then in 2017,  we would plan to work a solid 2+ months on the boat spending a pile of money to get her ready for the trip back to Florida.  Go back home for long enough to haul and secure all of our clients boats, then return in October to move aboard and begin working our way West to Florida.   The exact timing will depend on a lot of things so none of this is carved in stone.  I also have a lot to learn about the best times to cross the Med. going West and then there is the potential that if we are having too much fun that we might even keep the boat there for a third season.  If you have any suggestions feel free to share.

   Looking forward at the wind patterns for your area, it looks like that things should improve in a couple of days.

  Many thanks for the invitation to meet up somewhere or even cross together, that no doubt would have been fun!  I don’t know where you might be headed once you are on the other side, but if you end up in Florida and need anything or would just like to meet let me know.

Best

On May 15, 2016, at 2:17 PM, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Well done James,

At one time in my career, I flew Twin Otters on Super Floatation tires.  (The main wheels were shod with DC3 tires inflated to 4 PSI… tubes installed …the hubs were drilled and the tire was held in place with sheet metal screws screwed into the casing… you knew the inflation was correct when the wrinkle in the casing was horizontal below the wheel hub.  The nose tire was installed on a larger nosewheel fork and had a DHC 5 Main gear tire on it… all this extra stuff reduced our cruise speed to 145 KTS)  … but you could land on some 1 foot boulders without too much concern.  We did surveying work in the high Arctic and we normally landed on “eskers” (Wikipedia has a good description) of about 600 feet in length (could not be done shorter with reasonable safety or life expectancy) :-)  Each landing involved a risk assessment discussion between the pilots (only 2 of us accepted the challenge.. we always flew together during these flights) .  WAS FUN!

I assume you will be in Italy as this is where your “in waiting” Maramu is located?

We are still in southern Sicily awaiting Eole’s whims… been worse this year than at anytime in my memory of the Med… beautiful but a PITA to sail in.

If you sail your boat across, give me a heads up… we are crossing this year also.

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre Germain
Eleuthera SM 007

On 15 May 2016, at 18:47, James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

JPG,

   One of my dreams has been to fly an STOL across the back country of Canada as a group.  Landing on river banks and camping along the way.  There are numerous videos on you tube of others doing this.  I haven’t landed a powered plane short but I have safely put a sailplane into 1/2 of a hang glider field at LMFP that was small enough that a lot of hang glider pilots could get in there. (grin)  There are some really interesting comparisons between soaring and sailing.

  Thanks again for all of your help with my questions about the Amel models.  If all goes well I should be an owner a week from now.

Best,

James
On May 15, 2016, at 4:45 AM, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Pretty cool… once landed a Twin Otter across a 200 foot wide runway and managed to only use one half of the width… the wind was blowing a steady 50 knots across the runway.

On the other hand, I used 12000 plus feet of a LONG runway to takeoff with a Boeing 747-400 freighter… you do wonder what this invasive cloth is doing up your back 40… its your underwear being swallowed up!  :-)

Jean-Pierre Germain
Eleuthera, SM 007

On 15 May 2016, at 06:30, sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I just saw this and know some of you are pilots. I thought you would enjoy this.
Fair Winds
Eric

Posted by: James Alton <Lokiyawl2@...>

Upgrade your account with the latest Yahoo Mail app
Get organized with the fast and easy-to-use Yahoo Mail app. Upgrade today!