Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Nothing to do with sailing--Flying STOL

James Alton

John,

   Where is your Maramu now?  It sounds like you really had a great time cruising the Med. I never realized just how large of a body of water it encompasses,  I can imagine being able to spend many more than the 2 and possibly 3 seasons that we are thinking of.

   I didn’t find and references of Spartivento and wind but I have read about the Sirocco.   Quite a few sailors have told me that if a wind has a name, that is not a good sign!  (grin)

   John, I am wondering what size dinghy I would be able to store on the aft cabin top of my Maramu.  Would a 10’ Avon hard bottom fit?  I would really prefer to not have to store on the foredeck if I can avoid it.

Best,

James

On May 15, 2016, at 9:51 PM, jjjk12s@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I love that area. I have fantastic memories of Ustica and the Aeolian Islands. I wish my Maramu was in Sardinia!

As a way to head west I've done the trip twice up the Red Sea as far as UK. Once across the south of Sardinia (I'm pretty sure Spartivento means very windy!) and also up the coast of Italy and France. From Sicily via the Italian coast to Elba then Corsica and then Monaco and westward was easy coast hopping by comparison but we did miss out on Sardinia so have to go back! But the south of France was also a much better cruising area than we expected.

John, Popeye, Maramu #91