From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2016 9:01 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] fouling inside the main mast

Mike,

Now, I completely understand what you did.

Could it be that the halyard is wrapped vertically around either another halyard or the wire conduit? That halyard would have sprung like a snapped bungee when it broke and vertical wrapping is not out of the realm of possibilities.

I don't know how to solve it if it is vertically wrapped around the conduit, but if it is vertically wrapped around another halyard you should be able to tell by moving the other halyard and observing the bitter end of the broken halyard.

If it is vertically wrapped around the conduit, maybe you have to abandon the broken halyard as long as you can run a messenger for a new halyard and there is no interference with any other halyard. Of course, you and I would wonder about future entanglements.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On May 16, 2016 8:22 AM, "'Mike Ondra' mdondra@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill,

We lowered a messenger down the mast no problem to the point where the halyard leaves the mast at the bottom. Pulled it out and secured it to the bottom part of the halyard and then pulled it back up the mast. The thought was that perhaps the falling halyard had draped itself over something (possible strut across the mast, and that by pulling the bottom back up the mast we would “un-drape” it. The fact that the messenger went down on the first attempt would seem to indicate that the line wasn’t “piled up” and blocking the messenger’s decent. If indeed there is a strut across the mast, it could be that the falling halyard is draped on one side, and the dropping messenger came down on the same side so that when raising the bottom end we actually wrapped the halyard around the strut rather than “undraping” it. Sorry if this sounds confusing, a diagram would help. If I knew what was inside the mast it might help in devising another solution.

Thanks,

Mike Ondra

ALETES SM#240, Rock Hall, MD