Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] fouling inside the main mast

Mike Ondra

Thanks for you observations, Bill. I would hope that Amel would have secured the electrical conduit against the inside wall of the mast and therefore vertical wrap not possible. Not sure how that would have been accomplished.

The idea of a strut inside the mast between the spreaders makes structural sense and would potentially snag a falling line if it came down on the “wrong” side.

It would be helpful to know the interior construction of the mast. I think I remember seeing a photo of a piece of mast showing the cross section, but cannot find it on the Bulletin Board. Ultimately may need to look inside with an endoscope.

Thanks,

Mike Ondra

ALETES SM#240, Rock Hall, MD

Sent: Monday, May 16, 2016 9:01 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] fouling inside the main mast

Mike,

Now, I completely understand what you did.

Could it be that the halyard is wrapped vertically around either another halyard or the wire conduit? That halyard would have sprung like a snapped bungee when it broke and vertical wrapping is not out of the realm of possibilities.

I don't know how to solve it if it is vertically wrapped around the conduit, but if it is vertically wrapped around another halyard you should be able to tell by moving the other halyard and observing the bitter end of the broken halyard.

If it is vertically wrapped around the conduit, maybe you have to abandon the broken halyard as long as you can run a messenger for a new halyard and there is no interference with any other halyard. Of course, you and I would wonder about future entanglements.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On May 16, 2016 8:22 AM, "'Mike Ondra' mdondra@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill,

We lowered a messenger down the mast no problem to the point where the halyard leaves the mast at the bottom. Pulled it out and secured it to the bottom part of the halyard and then pulled it back up the mast. The thought was that perhaps the falling halyard had draped itself over something (possible strut across the mast, and that by pulling the bottom back up the mast we would “un-drape” it. The fact that the messenger went down on the first attempt would seem to indicate that the line wasn’t “piled up” and blocking the messenger’s decent. If indeed there is a strut across the mast, it could be that the falling halyard is draped on one side, and the dropping messenger came down on the same side so that when raising the bottom end we actually wrapped the halyard around the strut rather than “undraping” it. Sorry if this sounds confusing, a diagram would help. If I knew what was inside the mast it might help in devising another solution.

Thanks,

Mike Ondra

Sent: Monday, May 16, 2016 7:38 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] fouling inside the main mast

This is very interesting, but:

Richard,

How do you know what you will hook using a fishing hook inside the mast? What do you do if you hook the wrong thing? It is hooked!

Mike,

How were you able to tie a messenger to the halyard inside the mast? I thought the halyard had dropped and fouled inside the mast.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On May 16, 2016 7:18 AM, "Richard03801 richard03801@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi if you have a good size fish hook fish it out using very heavy line or a very strong leader attached to a 1/4 line set the hook and boat the halyard. Good luck.

Fair Winds Smooth Sailing To All

Capt Richard

RP Yacht Brokerage

Newport RI

We list sell and service fine yachts including Amel's

Cell 603 767 5330 <tel:603%20767%205330>

On May 16, 2016, at 07:11, 'Mike Ondra' mdondra@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

During a storm at night I furled the jib not having earlier in the day noticed that a crewmember had secured the ballooner halyard without retrieving the dehooker, leaving the halyard in place on the swivel. The furling motor is plenty strong and the halyard parted at the top and fell inside the mast. The line is now fouled inside the mast and cannot be pulled down and out. We have sent a messenger down inside the mast, tied it to the halyard and tried to pull the halyard line back up to reverse the direction of pull. Still fouled. Based upon the amount of halyard that is free both pulling up and pulling down, the foul point seems to be about at the lower spreader height.

Does anyone know what is inside the mast that could foul a falling line? Is there perhaps a compression strut athwartships inside the mast bracing the thrust of the spreaders that t he halyard may be hanging on? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike Ondra

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.