Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Recruiting Your Latest Thoughts on Interior Lights

James Alton

Bill,

   The 600 Lumen Alpenglows look really interesting.  I would like to see some of these in person sometime.  But yes,I agree 80 lumen is completely inadequate.   I remembered reading that MB had a red option but I did not read the specs. since I was not interested in them at the time.  The 300 lumen bulb that I linked you to however is a nice direct replacement for a bayonet style fixture.

James

On May 17, 2016, at 3:34 PM, Bill Kinney greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I think you are talking about these….

Two issues with those. One minor:  flipping a switch twice every time I want a white light would quickly get old (Yeah, I know… picky, picky!) But the real problem is that they only give off 80 lumens of white light. That’s just not enough for these old eyes to read with, and it leaves the cabin very dark and dingy to my eyes.  Others might be fine with it...

The Alpenglow lamps put out 600 lumens.  That’s what I am used to in a boat cabin.  It’s not an arc light, it only the equivalent of a roughly a 50 watt incandescent bulb.  80 Lumens is roughly equal to a 10 watt light bulb, and that just isn’t sufficient for me to engage in real 24 hour activity.  Again, others might feel differently.

Bill Kinney
Harmonie, SM#160
Port Canaveral, Florida

On May 17, 2016, at 13:53, Vladimir Sonsev sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

There are LED light balbs that go from red to wight depending on how many times you turn the switch ON/OFF. I have it on my previous boat. I like it. I want to get it for the cabin dome light.
I bought it on the Annapolis Boat show. Unfortunately I do not have the manufacturer name. I will try to find it. If I find it I post it. If you find it first please post it.

On May 17, 2016 12:17 PM, "greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

On our boat (SM #160) the installed cabin dome lights are single bulb G4 fixtures that have been converted to Dr LED bulbs.

There are two big problems from our perspective.  First there is NO provision for red lights for night vision protection, and the white LEDs are not nearly bright enough for our tastes.

Before pulling the trigger on converting saloon and galley to Alpenglow lamps, which I have great experience with, (https://www.alpenglowlights.com/overhead-light-info.html) I am wondering if anybody has other suggestions for adding red bulbs, and bright (9 Watt/600 lumen) high CRI white LED?

Bill Kinney
Harmonie SM #160
Port Canaveral, Florida.