To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 10:42:54 -0700
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Removing C Drive

I'd appreciate some expert advice on removing the C drive. Last September there was good discussion where Kent and Olivier said to loosen the hose clamps on the BIG hose sealing the upper unit to the hull then lift the upper unit out of the boat. Then, after removing the bolt holding the lower unit to the keel, remove the lower unit by sliding it aft.

After removing the engine coupling, I've got the upper unit mounting bolts off and the hose clamps off but cannot get the upper unit to move at all. Am using hundreds of pounds of upward force from a halyard.
From the picture of the cut-away drive at the Amel office and the difficult-to-read picture of the schematic, I can't quite figure out the assembly of the vertical shaft. Is there a spline that should slip open? Could the three O rings on the vertical tube around the vertical shaft or marine junk in there be holding it?
Or, do I need to disassemble the upper unit, pull the upper drive shaft and then the vertical drive shaft (although there is a lower bevel gear that would seem to prevent removing the vertical shaft.

At the moment I cannot rotate the upper unit because it is still on the bolts of the mounts. I could unbolt the base of the mounts and then rotate the upper unit back and forth and maybe break it free. But that would only help if there is a spline that will allow the upper unit to be raised.

All help very much appreciated!

Cheers, Craig Briggs, SN#68, SANGARIS, on the hard in Ft Lauderdale