Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Kent !!!

karkauai

Hi Enio et al.
I had a Sterling charger/inverter that was installed by an American marine electrician.  I didn't understand the Amel system at the time and went along with the electrician, who connected that grounding screw to the bonding system as shown in the instructions.  Bad move!!!

After a few months of apparently normal charging at the dock (I visited the boat twice a month) I found the batteries cooked.  I was lucky I didn't have a fire.  After changing the batteries it was obvious that the Sterling had failed and over-charged the batteries.  I checked with Sterling and they don't have a repair facility in the US.  It would have cost an arm and a leg to send it back to England.  I replaced it with a 60 A Charles charger with the idea that I would get another charger/inverter in the near future.  The new charger was also "grounded " to the bonding system.

A few months later with everything apparently working correctly, I hauled out to repainted the bottom.  I discovered that the zincs were gone(after only a couple of months), and while changing the prop seals I found that a third of the prop shaft was eaten away by electrolysis just aft of the "wearing out" bushing's o-ring.

A year and $20K later I had a new CDrive, and was much wiser about the Amel electrical systems.

There is a loooong thread about this about 2 years ago.

In short (well, too late for that) I found several things attached to the bonding system that should not have been.  These had been done both before and after I bought the boat and were generally done by ABYC standards.

After months of looking, I have been unable to identify all battery-to-bonding connections and still have voltage between the negative battery pole and the
engine block.

I purchased a silver/silver chloride reference electrode to keep track of my hull potential, and it always reads as it should, with all electrical equipment off, and with all equipment running.  My zincs are lasting six months or more again.

I have decided NOT to replace the charger/inverter.  There are apparently internal connections that are not compatible with Amel practice.  If I want to run the microwave or make a pot of coffee, I run the genset.

Do NOT connect the Sterling or any other battery charger to the bonding system!  Until you understand this fully, I recommend that you have all electrical installations done by an Amel yard, or someone who does.

Sorry for the long answer, but I'm still reeling over the errors made by supposedly knowledgeable electricians.

Kent
SM 243
Kristy
"Currently" Bonaire (~: