Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Dessalator 160 causes generator to shutdown but no breakers thrown

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Kent,

I am not exactly sure of the answer, but I witnessed this exact occurrence after a SM owner wired the new capacitors on the pump motor wrong.

Here is what happened: The Onan momentarily struggled when the HP pump turned ON after the 2 minute timer, then shut down.

Possibly the computer on the Onan senses a demand that is outside of its capacity and shuts down before the breaker reaches the capacity. But, I am not sure. Computers on diesels are a wonderful thing. Be sure to than the US EPA!

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On May 30, 2016 11:24 AM, "Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I don't understand how a faulty motor causes the generator to shut down without throwing a breaker.  Can someone elucidate?
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On May 30, 2016, at 9:22 AM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I would check the capacitors on the high pressure pump.

That’s my best guess- unless there is a short in the motor or wiring.

Sent: Monday, May 30, 2016 9:11 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Dessalator 160 causes generator to shutdown but no breakers thrown

No. Only that generator shuts down

Ben Driver

La Bella Vita

CG #1120066

SM #347

On May 30, 2016, at 8:16 AM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Do you know how much current the water maker is drawing just before it shuts down?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Monday, May 30, 2016 8:14 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Dessalator 160 causes generator to shutdown but no breakers thrown

Dessalator 160 causes generator to shutdown but no breakers thrown.  I can run all - 3 airs, charger, washer - simultaneity.  But when Dessalator is turned on generator shuts down.  No breakers on inside panel or on generator are thrown; generator just shuts down. I can restart immediately but as soon as Dessalator is started it shuts down again.  

I tried turning all off including charger and turning Dessalator alone on but same thing.  Specifically, when I turn on unit low pressure pump starts up and pressure gauge is in green.. It runs for a few seconds until high pressure pump starts which immediately causes generator to shut down.  I never touch the high pressure control knob which is turned all the way counterclockwise so there should be no pressure.  

It seems as no breakers are thrown on either generator or Dessalator, this must be water flow related.  That is, not enough flow for both generator and Dessalator .  By the way, system has new high pressure hoses and membranes and worked well during first use after new membranes filling tank with good water just last week. However it did shut down once for no apparent reason on initial use. 

I could use some team help.

Thanks 

Ben Driver

La Bella Vita

SM #347

Dominica 

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.