Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Dessalator 160 causes generator to shutdown but no breakers thrown

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Kent,

I am not exactly sure of the answer, but I witnessed this exact occurrence after a SM owner wired the new capacitors on the pump motor wrong.

Here is what happened: The Onan momentarily struggled when the HP pump turned ON after the 2 minute timer, then shut down.

Possibly the computer on the Onan senses a demand that is outside of its capacity and shuts down before the breaker reaches the capacity. But, I am not sure. Computers on diesels are a wonderful thing. Be sure to than the US EPA!

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On May 30, 2016 11:24 AM, "Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I don't understand how a faulty motor causes the generator to shut down without throwing a breaker.  Can someone elucidate?
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On May 30, 2016, at 9:22 AM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I would check the capacitors on the high pressure pump.

That’s my best guess- unless there is a short in the motor or wiring.