Maramu engine access

wgehrich

I inspected a 1985 Maramu today and was extremely impressed with
almost every aspect of the design and construction. The one thing
that troubles me is access to the front of the engine and access to
the deep bilge. I am 6'1" 210 lbs and could only reach the front
mounted alternator and pumps by bear hugging the engine (not a fun
prospect on a hot engine). There seemed to be no way I could reach
into the bilge.

Is there a trick I am missing or do you just have to be smaller of
frame to get to the front of the engine? Also, how to you remove a
dropped item from the bilge or change the bilge pump and/or switch?

I also noticed that there was maybe 8"-10" of shaft between the
transmission and shaft seal and the engine bedding looked it continued
10" aft. Seems unlikely, but I was wondering if this sounds typical
or if the (original) engine could have been mounted unusually far
forward.