Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Maramu engine access

WILLIAM KLEIN <sidecar1@...>

Graham, I have been on vacation , so if you have previously mentioned that you are looking to purchase a boat, I missed your notice. As Joel pointed out my boat is available for sale at this time. She is in very good mechanical condition and if you wish further details please e-mail me at sidecar1@verizon.net and I will then gice you my phone number.--- Bill Klein

----- Original Message -----
From: Joel F. Potter
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, February 25, 2007 11:27 AM
Subject: FW: [Amel Yacht Owners] Maramu engine access

Hi Graham,

I'm biased for sure but most boats in the size and price range described by an AMEL Maramu
don't have an engine room and the ships machinery is stuffed under the companionway.
Access to components, ALL the components, in a Maramu is better than all but a few other
boats.

Unless the AMEL you looked at was modified, neither the bilge pump or the bilge pump
switch is mounted immersed in the bilge. We consider it a recipe for failure to put the
bilge pump and its' switch under water. The bilge pump is, normally, a diaphragm type and
the switch is actuated by a float. Both the switch and the pump are high and dry on a
1985 Maramu.

You should consider Bill Klein's Maramu. I sold it to him. He has done right by the boat
and, more importantly, he knows what he is doing. Many new owners of used AMEL'S do more
harm than good with ill considered "improvements". If you get an AMEL, insist that the
owner spend at least 3 days with you teaching you all the systems and then don't improve
anything until you live with the boat for a while.

Good luck in your search for a nice Maramu. They get harder to find every year.

All the best,
Joel F. Potter
AMEL 54 Hull # 14 "HOLLIS"

_____