Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New size for Bow Thruster seal

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Kent,

The seal I am talking about is the following:
http://nikimat.com/bow_thruster_overhaul/bow_thruster_overhaul_62.jpg
it goes on the tuffnol shaft (inside diameter 30 mm now 29 mm) and fit on the bow thruster foot (outside diameter 42 mm)
So by making it tighter, 29 versus 30 mm it should/will be more water tight.
but since the shaft (I just measured) is 29.47, so putting a seal which is 29.00 mm diameter will be difficult.

Regarding the bearings, before they were what I believe is called “open” (bearing). So you see the balls.
http://nikimat.com/bow_thruster_overhaul/bow_thruster_overhaul_32.jpg
and
http://nikimat.com/bow_thruster_overhaul/bow_thruster_overhaul_35.jpg
Now they are “closed” I didn’t take pictures of the ones I receive, but they look like:
http://images-cdn.azureedge.net/azure/in-resources/7b1e3a30-1a8c-4732-ad14-f856fe78923a/Images/ProductImages/Source/6000-C3_1.jpg;width=600
you don’t see the balls anymore, they are protected.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Club Nautico de San Juan, Puerto Rico

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New size for Bow Thruster seal
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Thursday, June 2, 2016, 10:08 AM

Hi Alex,I guess I'm unclear
about this change.  The outside diameter remains at 42mm,
while the inside diameter is smaller.  Why is it harder to
install the seal?  It seems to me it would be harder to get
the shaft through the seal???  Do you install the seal on
the shaft first, then into its seat in the hull?  I've
always installed it into the hull first, then brought the
shaft up through it.
Thanks,KentSM243Kristy Currently Bonaire
On Jun 2,
2016, at 10:00 AM, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@...
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
wrote:

Interesting change on the seal size for the bow
thruster…

2 weeks ago, I received many spare parts from Amel (La
Rochelle), as I was labelling them I noted that the seal on
the tufnol shaft bow thruster was 29 x 42 x 8.

Thinking it was an error, I contacted Maud which just
confirm that they have modified a little the diameters of
the seal so that they are more water tight.

Before it was 30 x 42 x 8 now it is 29 x 42 x 8 she added
you won’t be able to put them by hand, but will need to
grease and use a tool “emporte piece” in french (I
personally used PVC pipe).

Glad to see they keep improving their system: the seal, then
previous as Bill mention the oil viscosity, etc.