Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Maramu engine access

Eric Lindholm

Like David I have a pad that I use to make laying on the engine to work on it more comfortable. I actualy had a cushion made that is approx three and a half feet long by eighteen inchs wide two inches thick that I leave on top of the engine all the time, with no damage to it. It is covered in a heavy fabric, and I just remove the padding and wash it every once in a while.

Eric Maramu 105

David Wallace <svairops@hotmail.com> wrote:
I carry a rolled-up 3' x 3' piece of 1/4" EPDM that I lay over the engine if
I have to work on it while it's hot. It's still pretty warm but enables me
to work on things without getting burned. Our Maramu has the original
Perkins 4-154 and the underway maintenance at the front of the engine has
been almost exclusively limited to the raw water pump, which fortunately can
be accessed without bear hugging the engine. But we once blew out the raw
water pump v-belt, which unfortunately was number 3 inwards on the drive
shaft multiple pulley, so had to remove two other belts to replace the
broken one. That did require laying on the engine, and I was very glad for
the EPDM then.

Dave
s/v Air Ops
Maramu #104

From: "wgehrich" <gdehrich@mail.com>
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Maramu engine access
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 22:42:28 -0000

I inspected a 1985 Maramu today and was extremely impressed with
almost every aspect of the design and construction. The one thing
that troubles me is access to the front of the engine and access to
the deep bilge. I am 6'1" 210 lbs and could only reach the front
mounted alternator and pumps by bear hugging the engine (not a fun
prospect on a hot engine). There seemed to be no way I could reach
into the bilge.

Is there a trick I am missing or do you just have to be smaller of
frame to get to the front of the engine? Also, how to you remove a
dropped item from the bilge or change the bilge pump and/or switch?

I also noticed that there was maybe 8"-10" of shaft between the
transmission and shaft seal and the engine bedding looked it continued
10" aft. Seems unlikely, but I was wondering if this sounds typical
or if the (original) engine could have been mounted unusually far
forward.

Intro*Terms