Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Maramu engine access

wgehrich

Thanks to all who have responded to my multiple questions. The
Amels are wonderful boats made even more appealling by the resource
this forum provides.

While I was more focussed on identifying the yoga pose that would
contort my way to engine access, I hadn't considered embracing the
idea of prone maintenance atop the engine. However, a two inch body
cushion might make that palatable. Plenty of boats were made with
cabin sole engine access that requires this anyway. Thanks Eric and
Dave for that insight.

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Eric Lindholm
<etlindholm@...> wrote:

Like David I have a pad that I use to make laying on the engine to
work on it more comfortable. I actualy had a cushion made that is
approx three and a half feet long by eighteen inchs wide two inches
thick that I leave on top of the engine all the time, with no damage
to it. It is covered in a heavy fabric, and I just remove the
padding and wash it every once in a while.

Eric Maramu 105

David Wallace <svairops@...> wrote:
I carry a rolled-up 3' x 3' piece of 1/4" EPDM that I
lay over the engine if
I have to work on it while it's hot. It's still pretty warm but
enables me
to work on things without getting burned. Our Maramu has the
original
Perkins 4-154 and the underway maintenance at the front of the
engine has
been almost exclusively limited to the raw water pump, which
fortunately can
be accessed without bear hugging the engine. But we once blew out
the raw
water pump v-belt, which unfortunately was number 3 inwards on the
drive
shaft multiple pulley, so had to remove two other belts to replace
the
broken one. That did require laying on the engine, and I was very
glad for
the EPDM then.

Dave
s/v Air Ops
Maramu #104

From: "wgehrich" <gdehrich@...>
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Maramu engine access
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 22:42:28 -0000

I inspected a 1985 Maramu today and was extremely impressed with
almost every aspect of the design and construction. The one thing
that troubles me is access to the front of the engine and access
the deep bilge. I am 6'1" 210 lbs and could only reach the front
mounted alternator and pumps by bear hugging the engine (not a fun
prospect on a hot engine). There seemed to be no way I could reach
into the bilge.

Is there a trick I am missing or do you just have to be smaller of
frame to get to the front of the engine? Also, how to you remove a
dropped item from the bilge or change the bilge pump and/or
switch?

I also noticed that there was maybe 8"-10" of shaft between the
transmission and shaft seal and the engine bedding looked it
continued
10" aft. Seems unlikely, but I was wondering if this sounds
typical
or if the (original) engine could have been mounted unusually far
forward.

Mortgage rates as low as 4.625% - Refinance $150,000 loan for $579
a month.
Intro*Terms
https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%
2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h27f6&disc=y&vers=743&s=4
056&p=5117