Re: Mainsail outhaul gearbox

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Mike:

I feel for you but I hope you don't make a bad situation worse.  I pounded on my shaft with a bolt screwed in the bottom until I thought I would damage the boom and then sought help.  What is needed was a too that rather easily "pushed" the shaft upwards.  It was a unique type of "pusher" as opposed to a "puller".  I seem to recall a photo of the device somewhere on the forum.  Basically it is a bar of steel that inserts transversely thru the opening in the gearbox mounting bracket that is below the boom.  Shims are placed under it to bear on the upper surface of the gearbox shaft (the hollow shaft into which the solid shaft seats and drives with a woodruff key) and then this is tied with bolts to a bar parallel to the upper one that is below the gearbox shaft.  A threaded bold is screwed thru threads in the lower bar such that as the bolt is screwed in, it pushes up on the shaft (with a protective piece of metal in place so as not to damage the shaft end).  Counter pressure is supplied by the upper bar of steel [basically a puller in reverse].  A picture would be worth a thousand words here.

Please remember that aluminum remembers every stress and will fatigue fail if stressed to much from pounding etc.  That is the reason it is so important to have the pressure on the shaft bear on the gearbox receptacle shaft (steel) rather than on the aluminum cover of the gearbox or worse yet on the boom and its bracket.

WARNING TO ALL AMEL OWNERS WITH THIESE GEARBOXES, REMOVE AND LUBE THIS SHAFT YEARLY or suffer the consequences.

Find someone with the right "pusher".  In my case after I spent hours pounding, penetrating oiling etc. the mechanic I consulted had the pusher in his shop and extracted the pin in 10 minutes.

I wish you the best,

Gary S. Silver
Amel SM #335
Fajardo, Puerto Rico   Puerto Del Ray Marina