Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Insurance values and SM2000 Yanmar engine access

Dear Anne and John,Thanks for the info. We missed R KJ by a day but by all accounts he was in good form, heard to be singing sea shanties as he climbed back on board after a run ashore.Luckily there is a very clever English communications man, Jonathan Selby, who lives here, partly on his 33ft concrete boat and partly ashore.He fixes all the Antarctica cruise ships with weather equipment which he designs himself. He sorted out all KJs problems in record time.
We set sail this week to follow in his wake, as least as far as Uruguay.
Cheers, Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Ushuaia

From: "John and Anne on Bali Hai" <annejohn@melita.net.mt>
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Insurance values and SM2000 Yanmar engine access
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:43:54 -0000

Hello Ian and Judy,
Noone else came back on insurance values so I have left it at 265k
although I suspect this might be on the high side. The valation I got
a year ago was from Simon Turner of Berthon's Mallorca office when he
was giving me some advice on the value of my berth in Club de Mar
which I would like to sell. His address berthonatocea.es
I had a problem starting my engine whilst we were in Turkey last year
which was intermittent failure of the solenoid on the starboard (hard
to get at) side of the engine. I found a very competent mechanic who
found the problem but in the process found a lot of scale in the
seawater pipe from the big inlet filter. I had never cleaned out the
heat exchanger and was surprised to see that there are three of them.
The first one is for the hydraulic clutch and that was nearly blocked
with loose scale thus limiting the flow to the other two and the
water pump. Surprisingly the engine had not been overheating. The
next one is the main one and he removed that after pulling the
exhaust pipe forward to get it out. This made access to that side of
the engine very easy so he changed the impellor. The third unit is
just behind the turbo which it cools.
I should also mention that he found that the big rubber seal which
should be at the bottom of the filter was missing thus allowing small
stuff to bypass the filter. Noone but me had ever opened this filter
so I guess that it has always beeen like that! It is about three
inches in diameter so hard to overlook.
I have to say that I was glad that he did all that as it was quite a
big job although his bill for 1400 euros seemed impressive.
Did you get to meet my friend Robin Knox Johnson when he stopped for
repairs at Ushu??? a week ago?

Best wishes, Anne and John SM319

Yahoo! Groups Links