Re: Mainsail outhaul gearbox

william_maffei@...

Hey Mike -

Sorry to hear about your troubles... I too have been a victim of this process and due to "lack of maintenance" (no offense of course). Just to be clear and so I can paint a better picture in my head. There are two "plates" or covers that also house a seal on the top and bottom of the transmission... Was it this piece which broke?

Does the transmission spin when the out haul motor is engaged? If not does it spin at all or is it completely seized in its place?

From what I remember, there are two gears. A worm gear coming from the motor shaft, and a main gear attached to that stainless steel shaft that your Andersen shaft runs through. That stainless steel shaft also has 2 large race bearings and a few locking snap clamps.

Please provide a few more details and I will do my best to help you out. I know if I cannot you will have no problem getting responses/advice from some of the more experienced members on this site.

Cheers,

Bill Maffei
SM #195
It's all Good